The control of canine affairs in New South Wales, Australia was unified in 1948 with the formation of the Royal Agricultural Society Kennel Club. Under the guidance of the Royal Agricultural Society, the Club was formed to promote and improve the registration and classification of purebred dogs in NSW.
In 1988, the then RAS Kennel Control changed its name to the NSW Canine Council. In 1989, the NSW Canine Council ‘broke away’ completely from the RAS.
Negotiations undertaken by the NSWCC resulted in the leasing of 80 hectares of State Government land at Orchard Hills on the outskirts of Sydney. In August 1990, work began on the construction of the now named Bill Spilstead Complex for Canine Affairs, and headquarters were established there the following year.
On 30 April 1993, Her Majesty the Queen granted approval for the prefix Royal to be used by the NSW Canine Council, and in February 1994 the Royal NSW Canine Council was incorporated as a Company Limited by guarantee.
Due to a greater need for community members to access the knowledge and services of the RNSWCC, members motioned in November of 2005 that the RNSWCC trade as Dogs New South Wales. This name was launched on 1 July 2006, representing the Royal NSW Canine Council Ltd.
25,000 purebred dogs are registered with DOGS NSW every year.